Knowing how to turn your water mains on and off is handy. Not only does this need to be done before carrying out any plumbing work, but it can help you minimise the damage to your home should you ever experience a leak. Your internal stop tap is the point where you can shut off the water supply to your home. Knowing the location of your internal stop tap is important in an emergency plumbing situation. We have compiled all the information you need to know about turning off your water mains in one place to make things simpler for you. Here at MCR Gas, our engineers are highly experienced and fully qualified, and we pride ourselves on our wealth of outstanding reviews.

Where is the Internal Stop Tap in my Home?

Usually, your stop tap will be located underneath your kitchen sink. However, it can also be in the airing cupboard, under the floorboards or near your front door. You should always ensure you are aware of the stop top location before moving into a home. If you are not aware of the stop tap location in your current home, you should be able to find this in the ground plan for your house.

How to Turn Off Your Internal Stop Tap

You should be able to operate the valve for your stop tap yourself. Twisting the valve clockwise will close it, reducing the amount of water passing through. It can take a few minutes for the flow of water to stop completely. To start the flow of water to your home again, simply turn the valve anti-clockwise. Tightening your valve excessively or using too much force to turn the tap can cause damage. You should turn the valve slowly and never force it. If you can not turn your stop tap on and off yourself, you may need to contact a plumber to fix this.

Where Is My External Stop Tap?

External stop taps are used to isolate the water supply to your home. Ideally, this tap should only be turned off by the water supplier or a qualified plumber. The external stop tap belongs to your water supplier, and you should seek permission to operate it yourself, even in an emergency. Not all water suppliers will give permission to use the external stop tap and if you do operate it and cause damage then you may be liable for repairs.

Stop Tap Key

Some stop taps will require a key to operate them. A universal stop tap key should fit your valve. Some houses may require a special key, and it should be located in your meter box. If you require a special key and do not have one, you may need to contact your water supplier. Alternatively, you can contact a qualified plumber, as they should have the tools to operate your stop tap.

Here at MCR Gas, our engineers are highly experienced in stopping leaks and all other aspects of emergency plumbing. If you require a Gas Safe engineer in the Bury, Bolton, Oldham or surrounding Manchester areas, contact MCR Gas today.